Yummy Fried Mozzarella Sticks (and easy to make - just 7 steps)
Hello out there,
Anyone ever tried a fried mozzarella stick and thought, “this is too good, I wish I could make these at home”? I know I have.
Below is a recipe for these delicious little treats, but beware, once you’ve tasted one, you’ll keep eating so please eat with caution. Seriously, I’m not joking.
This is for 16 sticks
Oil (canola or veggie)
8 Low fat mozzarella sticks (you know, string cheese)
2 beaten eggs
A splash of milk, no more than a tablespoon (I use whole milk)
Panko or Bread crumbs (I use Italian for the bread crumbs)
Two plates and three large bowls
Tongs or a fork
Marinara Sauce (store bought is good – or you can make yourself)
- Cut your mozzarella sticks in half and leave out so they become room temperature.
2. Pour a cup or so of flour into a bowl and set aside. Beat 2 eggs with a splash of milk in another bowl and set aside. Pour two cups or so of Panko or Bread Crumbs in the last bowl and set aside. (Here’s where you can get interesting, think of adding cayenne pepper or dried herbs to the mix)
(Now, if you have kids they can help with this assembly line)
3. Line up (yes, in this order)…Plate of mozzarella sticks, bowl of flour, bowl of beaten eggs with milk, bowl of crumbs and clean plate…
4. Dip a mozzarella stick in the flour and coat lightly (don’t forget the ends), then coat it the egg mixture (the ends too), then generously coat in the crumbs (yes, the ends again). Shake excess crumbs off and place the gorgeous mozzarella sticks on the clean plate. Now restart the process until all your sticks are coated and on the clean plate. Now freeze the completed sticks for about 30-minutes. You want these hard as rocks. (Clean and line your original mozzarella plate with a papertowel for reuse)
5. Heat your oil to 350 or so (hot enough to sizzle when you drop some water in…a few drops, not a glass full okay).
Get ready to work fast, and I mean fast.
6. Take your frozen sticks out and GENTLY place at least three in the oil with your tongs or fork. If you put more in, the oil temp could drop. Not cool.
WATCH THESE STICKS…they can burn fast and the cheese can ooze out fast.
7. Give each side (no, not the ends) a few seconds, literally, count to like 10 and TURN. Give the other side the same amount of time and remove from oil. Place on your lined plate. Fry up the rest of the sticks and enjoy…
That is if you, a spouse or the kids haven’t scarffed them down as they came out of the oil.
Yeah, I learned the hard way. “Come try these” I yell, and once the first one was tasted the marinara top popped off and the kids, along with their Dad ate them as they came out of the pan, dipping them in the marinara jar.
I only got two. Their excuse…”we’re helping you out, you’re trying to lose weight”
99% Pessimist, but Forever a Wishful Thinker