The Lord Looks at the Heart: When My Son Became My Daughter
1. We are liberals pushing a gay agenda.
Nope, sorry. I am a conservative Southern Baptist Republican from Alabama.
2. We (or at least I, because they always blame the mom) wanted a girl, so we turned our child into one.
Again, no. I desperately wanted boys. The idea of raising a girl in today's world scares me to death. I'd much rather be responsible for raising a good boy who knows how to treat girls well than to be responsible for raising a girl who might only be interested in dating bad boys.
3. "Kids have no idea what they want or who they are. My kid wants to be a dog. Should I let him?"
Well, that's up to you, but I wouldn't. There is a profound difference between wanting to be something in imaginary play and in declaring who you are insistently, consistently and persistently. Those are three markers that set transgender children apart, and my daughter displayed all of them.
4. Kids shouldn't have to learn about sex at such a young age.
I agree, so it's a good thing that being transgender has nothing to do with sex! Gender identity is strictly how a person views him or herself on the inside, and it is completely separate from whom we are attracted to.
5. Transgender people are perverts and shouldn't be in the bathroom with "normal" people.
I don't know what you go into a bathroom to do, but I know what my daughter goes in there for... and it isn't to look around. It's to go into a stall, lock the door, and pee where no one else can see her.
6. God hates transgender people. They are sinners and going to Hell.
My God taught us to love one another. Jesus sought out those that others rejected. Some people choose to embrace Biblical verses that seem to say being transgender is wrong. I choose to focus on verses like First Samuel 16:7, which says, "But the Lord said to Samuel, 'Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.'" My daughter is a girl in her heart. She knows it. God knows it. That's good enough for me.