Washing my Face With Honey
I have always had sensitive skin. I am very pale, and so my face tends towards blotchy and irritable. Even as an adult I get frequent breakouts. I've tried various products, some were better than others, but none was what I would call great.
And then I read someone else’s experience in an online forum. Like me, she had sensitive easily-irritated skin. She had started washing her face with honey, and she was raving about how great it was. Other people tried it, and also chimed in with how much they loved it. I was somewhat skeptical, but I thought that if it was half as good as they all said it was worth giving it a shot.
That was 2 1/2 years ago now, and I haven't looked back since. My skin is less blotchy. It's no longer oily or dry, even at the end of the day. It felt pretty weird at first, spreading honey on my face. It's certainly much different than the foamy products I've been using for decades. But now I can't imagine using anything else.
I should tell you that I don't wear makeup or other products. On the rare occasions that I dress up I wash my face with soap first. If you wear foundation every day, this might not be the solution for you. I also have a high tolerance for stickiness - I know that someone like my husband could not stand something so goopy. And obviously, vegans would want to steer clear.
Here are some great things about honey:
- It’s cheap! You can buy a jumbo jug at Costco, which lasts you for months and months.
- It’s completely natural. You’re not exposing yourself to perfumes, dyes, or chemicals.
- It’s a natural humectant, which means that it attracts and retains moisture. But it isn’t oily or greasy.
- It has antiseptic properties, so it kills nasty bacteria.
- It works as an anti-irritant, calming your skin.
- It contains vitamins and anti-oxidants.
- It tastes great, if you happen to get a little bit in your mouth.
So how do I actually use the honey? I moisten my face, and spread 1/2 teaspoon or so on my skin. Then I let it sit for a minute or so, and rinse it off. I do it morning and night. I have a special bottle of honey that I keep in the bathroom just for face washing purposes. It also helps to have a moist washcloth handy to wipe down the counter, otherwise you can end up with stray bits of sticky everywhere. That's all there is to it.
You can catch up with my other adventures, including my very exciting life as a suburban mom, at Strocel.com.