Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes, Just Add Rosé
With Valentine’s Day coming up, why buy roses when you can make them (and eat them) yourself? I guarantee they won’t be as delicious as these guys. It has been on my mind lately to dream up my own unique Valentine’s cupcake for the holiday. I thought of using rose water, rose petals, pistachios, lemon, lemonade, pink pink pink… but nothing really felt right. The inspiration for these came when I opened the fridge this morning. Rosé. My aha! moment. There was a half-drunk bottle of rosé wine in my fridge, staring right at me, and my cupcakes were going to get drunk off the rest of it.
Image: Courtesy of The Baking Bird
And oh man, are they happy and drunk. I got the strawberries soaked and drunk in it, and got the flour in the batter drunk on it (3/4 cup, yo!). The strawberries were lonely in their little plastic carton and wanted to party, so I combined everything together and made magic. (Yes, it’s true, the inspiration came from just staring in my fridge. I think I spend too much time in the kitchen.)
The batter tastes and looks just like the strawberry cake mix out of a Betty Crocker box. But I can assure you, it’s free of those nasty chemicals and tastes a billion times better. So if you’re a strawberry cake fan, this is definitely for you!
These turned out ridiculously amazing. I was throughly impressed. With or without the frosting, they are deelicious. They’re super-pretty to look at and will impress any guy or gal from head to toe. I’m tellin’ ya, don’t waste your money on a dozen roses. Just bake a dozen roses instead! And eat them. ALL.
Happy (early) Valentine’s Day! Because I love you.
For the Marinated Strawberries
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- 1 cup rosé wine
For the Batter
- 3/4 cup rosé wine
- 1/4 cup vanilla soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional: pinkish red gel food coloring
For the Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance margarine
- 3 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons reserved strawberry rosé wine marinade
- Pinkish red gel food coloring
For the Marinated Strawberries and the Batter
- In a small bowl, marinate the diced strawberries in the wine for at least 30 minutes prior to folding into batter. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk the rosé wine, vanilla soy milk, and apple cider vinegar in a large bowl. Set aside for several minutes to get curdled.
- Beat together the wine-soy milk mixture with the oil, sugar, and vanilla.
- Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until no large lumps remain.
- Add in the food coloring gel, if using, until you reach your desired color. I preferred mine to be a lightish pink (about 4-6 drops).
- Strain the strawberries from the wine (but reserve) and add to the batter. You will use the strawberry-wine mixture for the frosting.
- Fill cupcake liners near the line (you should have enough batter to evenly distribute into 12 liners), and bake 20 minutes. (I have a hot oven and it bakes quickly... If you do not, just bake em a little longer.)
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.
For the Buttercream Frosting
- Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy.
- Add the sugar, reserved wine marinade, and food coloring. Beat until well combined.
- Fill a pastry frosting bag fit with a rose petal decorating tip (see examples here) with the frosting, and pipe on a rose design (see tutorial here) for each cupcake. Voilà! So pretty and easy!