Reflections on 1 week of marriage
Well we did it. My love and I got married in a historic church, with lots of DIY touches, and a handlebar moustache. Well, he had the moustache. But we enjoyed every single minute of it and I believe our friends and family did too, but more on the wedding itself later. Today I wanted to focus on my marriage. I have been married 1 week and 1 day, and already I've noticed a few things that have changed that nobody really told me about. Maybe it's just me?
1. You start getting fat IMMEDIATELY after the wedding. Granted, I knew that married women gained weight. And I know that I love to eat. But seriously. We took home leftover catered pasta, cupcakes and candy. Without the motivation of the wedding, I lost all self-control. It didn't help that when you're from out of town, everyone wants to visit with you...and consequently feed you. The day after our wedding we had breakfast, went to a brunch, went to a cookout, went to dinner, then went and hung out with more family. It is more tiring and more filling than finals week in vet school. Who knew?
2. Wearing a wedding ring is just as annoying as wearing any other ring. I always wanted to be a "ring" person. I continually tried to find that perfect ring that would look beautiful on my finger, fit like a dream, and I'd never want to take off. Similar to my shoe quest...and I have 40-some pairs of shoes. So I searched and searched for the perfect wedding ring. And I love it. It's beautiful, it's unique, it's still something on my finger all the time. I think I'll get used to it eventually. For now, one of the stones came loose and it is on the way back to the jeweler. I feel sad that it's not there, so there's hope for the future!
3. Weddings are personal and *most* people don't want to hear about it so much as they want to compare. Nobody else is going to have your wedding. They aren't going to make their own centerpieces from thrift-store parts, play mostly oldies music, and have a first dance to a Disney song. But that was us. And we LOVED it. So advice for all of you soon-to-be brides out there- don't take it personally when people look at you funny or really just want to tell you how their wedding is/will be so much different than yours. Make it your day and be happy with it.
4. Just by getting married, my house looks a little more adult. I now have nice bathroom rugs, adult-ish statues, and a Keurig. Holy crap. No more mismatched bleach-spot hand towels and plastic silverware. I have matching dishes for the first time in my life. And it feels gooooood.
5. I don't really feel "different"...but I do. I can say things like "my husband". I can listen to dramatic teen songs and watch sitcoms about single people and think "I don't have to deal with that". The whole dating scene is over, and to be honest it's a little scary. I don't know what challenges marriage will bring. It's a new adventure, but a frightening one.
More to come as I once again try to be a better blogger. Anyone else surprised immediately after marriage?