Lately, the weather around here has been crazy and afternoon storms have been rolling in. That means my guys have been hanging out, doing some summer reading or better yet, having a few friends over. Either way, there's always a snack involved. Last week, all of us were tired of the "favorites" so I needed to add something new. I'm glad I had a stocked pantry and fridge because this dish came together in no time flat! I think I've got a new favorite to add to my list...
Baked Pepperoni Dip
8oz cream cheese, room temp*
1/2 cup sour cream
1 small can tomato sauce*
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1 clove grated garlic
dash of red pepper
dash of salt
1 cup chopped pepperoni
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, halved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese, sour cream and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- In a separate bowl, mix tomato sauce, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Layer cheese mixture on the bottom of a baking dish or pie pan.
- Spread tomato sauce over cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle on chopped pepperoni.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until bubbly.
- Top with reserved 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and bake until cheese is melted.
- Serve with corn chips or veggie sticks.
- bottled pizza sauce can be used if you have it on hand - I make my own since I always have tomato sauce in the pantry.
- to bring refrigerated cream cheese to room temp, heat a mug/small bowl of water in microwave for 1 minute. Open cream cheese packet, cut into squares and place on a plate. Put cream cheese into microwave along with the hot water and close door. Leave in for 1 minute - DO NOT turn microwave on. Cream cheese should be soft enough to work with after 1 minute.