Never Trust a Fart - and 21 Things You Need to Know at Midlife
- Get a bra fitting - be amazed and fascinated at what your true size is! Believe me, I thought I was in the 34's until recently. Denial is a river in Egypt.
2. Get a brow job and makeover- Sephora is your new best friend. Or the Mac counter if you can take the music and the transgenders doing your lipstick. A gal at Sephora got ahold of me last week. I asked the innocent question-What is your BEST brow pencil? And I got a wonderful tutorial and an instant face lift. Do it, it's worth it!
3. QUIT with the high school hair-all I'm gonna say is if you still have the SAME hairdo as you did in your senior picture in 1978, get thee to a salon now! Farrah is (literally) dead. So is Annette Funicello - let's get into 2014 and try something current.
4. Get a mammogram, colonoscopy, pap smear, stress test. It's time. I don't care if you just ran a half marathon or did hot yoga with the hot dude from town. Do it. Besides, a colonoscopy is a good 5 lbs gone and instant detox!
5. Moisturize-everything. Every day. Use the GOOD stuff, not the cheap Walmart stuff on your face at nite. Wear Sunscreen on your face. Let me tell you, I had a friend get a total facelift a couple of year ago, she looked like ET for a month, then a battered wife for the next and it still took a year for most of the scarring to heal and that surprised look to go away. I ain't got that kinda time.
6. Exfoliate-this is the new mantra today-especially if you are hitting midlife. And let me tell you, you will be surprised at how well this works. I've been using Rodan and Fields exfoliate and AMP system and it has worked miracles. And no, I am not a rep. Also your body too-my calfs look like they belong in Gator World so I got that coconut palm oil sprayer thingie and do that in the shower. Works like a charm.
7. Pedicures-there is nothing worse than skanky toes in sandals. Please get a pedicure.
8. Carbs are not your friends-or rather, simple carbs are evil. Especially to me. And my teenager just got a job at a bagel place FTW. If its white, sugary and starchy you will end up with a muffin-which is what they are made of.
9. Travel--go go go. Get a passport if you don't have one. If anything you'll feel kinda worldly. Take a girls trip. How cathartic are those??? I'm sorry but there is nothing better than sitting around a beach or mountain condo with your closest girlfriends drinking wine, laughing and telling stories. It's that "Ok, so I'm not so crazy after all moment" that we all need once in a while
10. Keep toilet paper in your car at all times-trust me on this one...you just never know
11. Keep a journal
12. Get a decent camera-don't rely on your smartphone to hold all your precious memories and porno shots. One drop in a toilet, or fall to a tile floor and all that could be gone, then you have to go to the phone store and have some basement nerd restore your pics. Woo hoo. Back that baby up once a week at best. Get a nice digital camera-they now have wireless ones that you CAN post to Facebook, etc and still have that shot on a card you can download to your computer.
13. Try caviar - time to get adventurous with your food. Ok, I hate caviar but I love nigiri sushi-the really raw slab of fish (tuna especially) on hunk of rice. I also have found that quinoa, rice noodles, peppers and fried gator tail are pretty damn good. If you've made it this far without a major food issue, go for it. Still not sure about the chocolate crickets though.
14. Drink a Scotch - no carbs, no sugar and low cal. Also makes you more sophisticated, well maybe. Shots are so Carlos and Charlie's in Cancun on a cheap cruise. Or Fireball Whiskey-oooh weeeeeeee
15. Get a car with heated seats-I will NEVER NEVER have a car again without heated seats. I don't care how much the addition is, this one option is worth every penny. Especially if you are over 50
16. Fiber Fiber Fiber
17. Get a crock pot - you are busy and having a good time-makes cooking so easy
18. Buy anything with the word Astro in it - good advice from a wise sage in my family. I'll leave it at that...
19. Never trust a fart - especially during exercise. At this phase I have learned that if I am going to run, or downward dog, lactose is advised after exercising
20. Do exercise that you LIKE - so that means if you like to do the naked dance while doing laundry, its exercise in my book so go ahead with your bad self and pop a move-just make sure not to pop a hip.
And last but certainly not least (for this list anyway):
21. A Great Shoe and a Great Handbag don't Judge.... You can be a size 14 or a size 6 and they will always be there for you to perk up your day. Don't skimp and don't wear Clarke's on a date...
So, lucky for us, mom jeans are making a comeback, and MiracleSuits are on sale at Costco. Good luck my girlfriends-the ride is better HERE than anywhere!
I love sharing-you can join my on my Facebook page or better yet sign up to get me in your inbox. Happy tails!