Libations, Waste Not
I hate wasting food, so when I was left with half a bottle of wine after a gathering at my place, I had to get a little resourceful on ways to use it up.
1. Freeze the leftover wine. I used an ice cube tray so that I can break off only as much as I need.
2. Substitute leftover wine as part of the liquid in tomato sauce, gravy or a vinaigrette for salads.
3. Make a marinade. I used this simple one that I modified based on various sources off the Internet:
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil
Mix all ingredients in a sturdy freezer safe plastic Ziploc bag and add your choice of meat: chicken or beef. Don't use fish as it tends to "cook" and fall apart if left longer than half an hour in the marinade.
Don't throw out the marinade liquid afterwards. You can cook it down in a saucepan until it’s thick, and spoon it over the finished dish for yet more flavor.
Voilà! No wasting of leftover wine. :o)
Image Credit: andrewrennie on Flickr, used under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0) license.