Kitchen Remodel Project part 1
I spent the best part of this week down a rabbit hole I will call “Organizing my Last Ten Years”. You know how it can be looking through old photos with the intention to find that one shot from 2005. Somewhere along the way it struck me that my photos are not safe. The impermanence of plastic DVD’s seemed like a flimsy way to store such important memories. After a little research, I decided to double down and buy an online cloud storage that will provide easy off-line access. This access needed to be linked with a printing site with some editing capabilities. So, Google Cloud and Picasa entered the picture to provide a one stop shop for my thousands of photos. If you haven’t begun organizing your pictures into subject and year, I would suggest taking the time to do it now. Sadly, my kids have no easy photo books to look at because their memories are in digital form - I quit printing photos with the first digital camera purchased in 2003! OK enough of that – it is time to start blogging.
We bought this house knowing the list of updates would be long and expensive. I will tackle the documentation of these in the order that they were undertaken beginning with painting over that bright lemon yellow kitchen and ripping off those veggie back splash tiles!! I did this almost before unpacking the house... Here are a couple of photos of the before kitchen both with the previous owner's belongings and then empty.
Yellow everywhere with a sort of French County style
Fruit and Veggie back splash tiles
Fluorescent light box and under cabinet mounted tubes
A few things to notice: the light box with fluorescent tubes with a plastic grid and the dull grey ceramic tile. This tile was in the majority of the rooms on the first floor including the foyer, formal dining and family room. I wanted to rip this stuff out day one but had to wait a couple of years to change the flooring. First things first – the kitchen had to be updated.
The scope of the project included new counter tops, a new sink and faucet, new ovens and cook top and of course new paint. Shortly after the remodel, I managed to install under counter lights, a new dining light and three pendants over the island - those photos will be in the next post. Below are a few shots below showing the work and a couple of completed shots at the end. In the next post, I’ll talk through the details.
Counters torn out – back splash too courtesy of yours truly
Added extension to island
Ripped out little cabinet in the corner to make space for a microwave
New cabinet pulls and outlet covers
That is all I will cover today. Next post will discuss challenges and decisions and specifications and more photos. I apologize if the photos don’t fit. I may have to go back and re-size if the layout is wonky. I’m learning to blog as I go!