I will follow you
Disclaimer: the author of this post cannot be held responsible for making you hum this song for the next few months.
I'm spending a lot of time reading about blogging lately. Tips and tricks, social media, planning… I'm eager to discover it all. And I'm an avid reader of interesting blog posts. A blog that has a few of them on it, can count on my more or less eternal love. I love commenting on them. I love interaction, especially with great authors that I look up to. And asking myself the question how I can I make my blog visit-worthy, I thought I might start with my own experience as a blog reader. What attracts me in other blogs? When I read a post, what makes me want to discover the whole blog?
1. My instinct is to stay longer on blogs that have a certain lay-out. I like a lot of white space, clean and simple lines and big pictures. I love simple headers and a sidebar that's not completely stuffed with badges of link-parties. Certain fonts have a very specific effect on me and make me want to stay longer.
2. I love when a blogger mentions other blogs in his/her posts, and adds links. If I like certain blogs, chances are huge that I'm going to check out the blogs they mention. But I appreciate it a lot if those links open in a new tab, so I can have a look at them after I'm finished reading the post.
3. I love writers who master the art of humor. If your style is slightly ironic and if you have some sense of self-depreciation, you've probably had me at hello. I will be at your feet forever 'cause you make my day and I want you in my mailbox. Ha!
4. I always try to give meaningful comments on blog posts that spoke to me in some way. Sometimes it is impossible to comment though, because you have to sign up to a certain system (like Disqus, which I for very unspecific reasons don't like), or have to be member of a certain blogging platform (on some blogs you can't comment without a google-account. While I have one, it's not link to my blog account anymore, for very specific reasons this time). I think it's very nice of you to reply on a comment, but I'll love you even more if you check my blog and write a comment on a blog post that you like. It doesn't even have to be the most recent one, just one you like. Oh and I completely understand the anti-spam procedure, but lately those encoded letter thingies are totally going crazy. Unless it's numbers, I can't read them. And I'm no robot. By the way: I prefer you to moderate comments before publishing them rather than having to go through word verification.
5. I love good writing. And while I make a lot of them myself, as English is not my mother tongue at all, I hate spelling mistakes. I'm very sensitive to them in my own language, but even in English they can grab my attention right away, and not in a good way. Guess it's my dark and secret grammar-nazi side. Beautifully written and well composed sentences make me smile. If you have lots and lots of them on your blog, you'll be my friend. And I will follow you.
(you didn't actually think I would let you get that song out of your head, did you?)
Blogging @ http://songsofhome.wordpress.com