I Can't Believe I Made My Own Butter!
I never thought the day would come when I would make my own butter! I thought it was all about milkmaids dressed in long petticoats and churning endlessly in wooden barrels. When I realised that all that's to it is to overbeat cream, I just couldn't resist giving it a go. It's a really fun thing to do, super-easy and you can add your own flavours too.
Preparation Time: Less than 10 minutes
Yeild: About 150 g/5.2 oz.
250ml/8.8 fl. oz. cream
- Pour your cream into a bowl and whisk until it becomes thick. Whip it until it looks a little bit crumbly, turns slightly yellow and some liquid appears in the bottom of the bowl. With my simple and very old hand whisk this usually takes about 7 minutes.
- Bring the mix together with a spatula, place it in a sieve and squeeze the liquid out with your hands.
- Pat the butter into the shape you want and store in greaseproof paper in the fridge.
Tips and Variations
- If you want to add some flavour, I like to do this as soon as the butter is ready before it goes into the fridge. I find it easiest to use a fork. Here are some flavour ideas.
- Sea salt
- Chile flakes and sea salt
- Soft herbs like parsley, chives, sage (chop them finely)
- Garlic (grated)
- Lemon zest and grated garlic with some sea salt
- Roasted garlic cloves