7 Ways Your Life Changes With a Toddler
A year ago, I wrote about how much your life changes when you have a baby. Well, now that our baby isn't so much a baby anymore, things are different. Our lives are forever changing, and here is how:
1. Having a messy house takes on a whole new meaning. And suddenly, living with a messy house is completely OK with you because cleaning is either not that important in that moment, or you are completely exhausted after running after a toddler all day.
2. Planning outings seems to be easier. Now, all I have to carry in my purse is a diaper or two, wipes and snacks. Never forget the snacks!!!
3. You learn how to pick your battles. Palmer is trying to find her independence, and part of my job as a parent is to help her and guide her to find it. If she wants to wear two different shoes, okay. Is that the worst thing in the world? Certainly not. It may make me look like a crazy parent, but haven't we all been there??
At least they're the same kind of shoe, and bonus points for picking out a right and a left!
4. Watching the pure joy in their faces when they do something they are proud of is something magical. Watching the expression as they learn something new; priceless. There is nothing more precious I can think of.
5. You actually get to sleep!!! Of course there are still those nights when they wake up in the middle, but those have become very few these days in our house. The bad nights come in clusters, when she is teething usually. It lasts maybe three nights and it's over. Sleep is a precious thing and with our toddler, we manage to get plenty of it at night!
6. You will never take free time for granted again. Nap time is one of the best parts of the day, but oddly enough, as great as it is to put them down for a sleep, you find yourself getting lonely and wishing they were awake with you.
7. They will become (not that they weren't already) a significant source of happiness in your life. They will make you laugh over and over and over again. There will be days they make you cry, but mostly you will laugh.