Have You Become More Human Because of Your Pets?
Many said they feel they have become more compassionate toward other animals, especially those in need in rescue, puppy mills, etc. While I think that is wonderful, I realized I needed to be more specific with my question. I expanded on it with this, How has that compassion for animals led you to be more human? Meaning, how has it led you to being more human toward other human beings?
One person said, "Through animals, I've learned that I am not the most important species on the planet and not the most intelligent or forgiving."
I'm not sure I'd say we are less intelligent, but I would say we each have something powerful and profound to offer each other. This, in turn, I believe, can make our planet a better place for all to live. I don't feel that animals are less than, but important to our own personal development if we are open to what they are teaching us.
While most said they have become more compassionate and patient, I was still interested in digging further with examples of what that means. I know my love for animals has made me more compassionate and patient also, especially for those with special needs. But I realized years later that the work I did with Frankie as a therapy dog and working with children, that I became a better person toward my fellow human beings. Here are few ways in which I think I've become more human because of what I've learned through my pets.
- I'm less judgmental toward others.
- I have more patience for those I may not fully understand and those that tend to frustrate me. I've learned that they are my greatest teachers in what I want or don't want for my own life.
- I'm kinder to others with just simple things such as offering a smile more often to strangers, or holding a door open.
- I don't worry as much about the small stuff, which makes me much nicer to be around.
- I live more authentically which I think encourages others around me to try and do the same.
This list is a work in progress, as I do lose my way now and then, because, well... after all, I am human. When this happens, I stop and look into the eyes of my dog's and I am reminded once again of the ways in which they teach me to love unconditionally.
I'd love to hear your thoughts so feel free to let me know what you think.
Award-winning author inspirational memoir of Through Frankie's Eyes: One woman's journey to her authentic self, and the dog on wheels who led the way & children's book series, Frankie the Walk 'N Roll Dog