Favorite Fall Meals
I love fall! I used to think summer was my favorite season, but the last few years or so I have really fallen in love with fall (sorry, summer!). The days are not too hot and not too cold, the nights are crisp, the colors are beautiful, and the bugs are gone! And fall in my little corner of the world brings an amazing color display, as well as a bounty of fruit and veggies. Apples, pears, grapes, squash, pumpkins - love them all!!
With the summer seeming to linger in Michigan this year, I am craving my favorite fall meals more than ever. I'm yearning for the temps to drop a bit so I can start cooking up those warm comfort foods I love. Here's a collection of my fall favorites, in no particular order, and links where I have them!
Favorite Fall Meals
1. Meatloaf. Nothing says comfort food like meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I put a fun twist on mine and make them in a muffin pan with mashed potato frosting - Meatloaf Cupcakes! :)
2. Sloppy Joes. These are easy and filling. I usually make mine in the crockpot and make a big batch and freeze portions for quick weeknight dinners. These are also perfect to take to a tailgate when the weather gets chilly and you need something to warm your belly up!
3. Chili. I don't use any real recipe for my chili, but promise in the next couple weeks to try to pin one down! My chili is usually what I'm in the mood for and what I have in my kitchen. I do always put black beans in it, because The Coach likes them, and I like to add corn in because I think it sweetens the flavor up a bit.
4. Mac & Cheese. I like homemade the best - and I do have to say my recipe from my mom is one of my absolute favorite comfort foods. I usually make some smoked sausage and veggies or a salad with it.
5. Chicken Pot Pie. Another comfort food. The best review of this one - Roo told me last time I made it, "Mom, I don't like chicken pot pie. I LOVE chicken pot pie!" Music to this cooking mama's ears!
6. Soup. I have a new recipe I'm working on and will be posting soon for a soup that is a blend of a pasta fagioli and a minestrone. I love a good hearty soup with lots of veggies in it. Some days I'm in the mood for something creamy, like potato soup or broccoli cheese, and other days I'm more in the mood for something tomato based, like the one I'm working on. Either way, a big hot bowl of soup and some French bread - mmmmmmm.
7. Lazy Day Casserole. I saw this on Pinterest and loved it! So simple, easy, and filling. A great dinner all in one big roasting pan! The Coach loves that since he does dishes when I cook!
8. Pot Roast. I don't have a real recipe for my pot roast. I just buy a good sized chuck roast. Put it in the crockpot. Season with salt and pepper, some minced garlic, and a little diced onion if I have any. Add some beef broth or a rich beer, like an Octoberfest. Let it cook on low all day. That's it! I do have to say, my kids prefer the beef broth over the beer, which I'm thinking I should be glad about. but the beer does give it a bit of a rich, Irish stew kind of flavor.
9. Acorn Squash. Again, I make this so simply I don't even have a recipe. I cut the squash in half, from stem to bottom. Scoop out the seeds. Place scooped out side down in a baking dish with about a quarter cup of water. Bake at 375 for about 40 minutes. Take out and flip the squash over, so the scooped out side is up. Fill the hollow with a generous pat of butter and a scoop of brown sugar. Put back in the oven for 10 minutes or so. My Monkey loves acorn squash this way!
10. Apple Crisp. I couldn't make a fall list with out something apple on it! Apple crisp is so simple, yet so delicious! I always just google a recipe every time, because it is pretty basic and I just haven't made the effort to memorize it. I linked to one on Pinterest that looks like what i usually make. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on a hot scoop of apple crisp - autumn heaven!!