Don’t Mule It Over! 20 Mules to Wear Now
Mules have turned out to be the stealth trend of the season. Here’s a roundup for every budget. -PJ Gach
The mule is back in a big way! Made popular by Marilyn Monroe in the '50s, the shoe dipped in popularity in the '70s and '80s, then came back in the mid-'90s and was renamed the ‘Slide.’ Possibly because women’s feet slid right out of them. The backless shoe can be very sexy, and if you’re not very coordinated, I’d recommend wearing a low- or no-heel version of the shoe. Just to be on the safe side.
The shoe was first seen on the Fall 2015 runways at Prada and Proenza Schouler. Then they popped up at the Rebecca Minkoff, Tory Burch, Derek Lam, and Mugler Fall 2016 shows. And they’ve been seen at the Spring/Summer 2016 shows at Michael Kors, Nina Ricci, and The Row.
Yet, even if an item pops up again and again, like the mule, if there’s not enough traction (consumer/influencer interest), the item just becomes a fashion oddity. However, like those five pounds with no identifiable source, the mule is having its moment. They’re everywhere for late summer and fall.
Take a look at the 20 low-and high-heeled versions for every budget that I've rounded up for you.
1. 3.1 Phillip Lim Louie mules, $415, Barneys New York
2. Patti low-heeled mules, $59, Urban Outfitters
3. Jack Rogers Barcelona Capri mules, $188, Jack Rogers
4. Calvin Klein Garnett mules, $69.30, Lord & Taylor
7. Gucci Princetown floral print mules, $695, Nordstrom
8. Oscar de la Renta Patrizia embroidered mules in Smoke, $650,Neiman Marcus
9. Donald J. Pliner Breva calf-hair mules, $89, Neiman Marcus
10. Jimmy Choo Pana patent leather cork wedge mules, $395, Saks Fifth Avenue
Mules with heels up next!
High-Heeled Mules11. Beige snakeskin mules, $200, Shoptiques
12. Red faux leather block heeled mules, $11.08, SheIn
13. Tory Burch navy studded mules, $315, Yoox
14. Ann Summer marabou mules, $40.44, Asos
15. Colored peep-toe wedge mules, $18.89, TB Dress
16. Rupert Sanderson Sweetheart mule sandals, $486, Bloomingdale’s