Beef Noodles in Peanut Sauce (Rojak Daging)
The Rojak dish has so many incarnations that vary wildly depending on regions and state within Malaysia. One version called Mee Rojak Daging in the state of Sabah on the isle of Borneo delivers sliced beef on a bed of egg noodles covered with peanut sauce. Accompanying it on the side are sliced cucumbers and a hard boiled eggs. I cannot stress enough how delicious this is and with how easy it is to prepare, you can also enjoy it and bring a taste of Borneo to your home.
- 1/4 lb. egg noodles or spaghetti cooked al dente
- 2 hard boiled eggs, shelled and quartered
- 1/2 cup cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 lb. beef
- Peanut sauce (see recipe)
- Over low heat, poach the beef in simmering water for 10 minutes
- Remove and slice the beef into thin slices and set aside
- Prepare the peanut sauce according to the recipe
- Arrange the noodles/spaghetti on a plate with the eggs and beef slices on the side
- Pour the peanut sauce over the noodles and top with sliced cucumbers
- Serve hot
Dilute the peanut sauce with coconut milk according to preference to have a more sauce-like consistency instead of a thickened paste.