Anniversary Party Favors
Since I'm OCD, and also love over-planning events, I decided to make
favors for the RTBF's parents' surprise dinner-- in red, black, and
white, to coordinate with the invites
(quick tutorial on those to follow soon!) . It was actually easier
than I expected, and I think the splash of red will add a nice accent
to the table! My idea started off as simple thank-you tags for the
favor boxes... but as you'll see, morphed into a different project.
This is a great opportunity to introduce one of my favorite crafting
tools; the Big Shot. (No, that's really its name!) It's a die cutting
machine that allows you to insert various dies or embossing folders,
roll them through the machine, and end up with a gorgeous die cut.
Below you see the machine, the top (non-cutting surface) of the die,
and the clear cutting plates. You just put a piece of paper underneath
the die you want to cut out, sandwich it between the clear cutting
plates, and roll it through the machine.
Ta-da! Here's what it looks like after being run through the
machine. The die will cut into the clear plates and make lines; but
don't worry, that's supposed to happen. Just rotate the plates so
you're not cutting over the same area all the time. If you want to cut
out a selected part of the die, just run smaller pieces of paper
through, like I did for the tags.
you remove the paper, you'll have a cutout and a negative piece. I'm
using the negative piece as the tag, but I saved the cutout to glue
onto a future card or tag. No use wasting cute cutouts, right?
This is where I changed my mind. After making the tags, I thought
it'd be a lot cuter if I made an obi band to go completely around the
favor box. Sorry, I don't have any pics of these on their own, but I
basically ran a longer strip of paper through the Big Shot so the
"thanks" appeared in the middle.
First I cut the strips of paper to my desired width; a little wider
than the die cut. Then, I took an extra box cut-out and lightly scored
the red paper strip at the top and bottom of the front panel, so I
could see where to position the paper on the die when cutting. I'm
clearly farther along in this pic, but you can see the score lines
pretty well here.
Then I used a Bigz XL die to make the cutout for the box. The total
dimensions of the box cutout are 6" x 11", so you can make one per
sheet of 8.5" x 11" cardstock (or 2 if you buy the more expensive 12" x
12" cardstock). Here's the die and the box cutout that it makes, both
flat and folded slightly. It looks really complicated but really
there's only one tab to tape down; the one on the far right in the
picture. All the rest of the tabs fold together with no adhesive
I stamped a pattern onto the cardstock (that black edge underneath
my hand is a piece of foam, about the same firmness as a mousepad; it
helps the stamps get a more even impression on the paper).
Checking the width of the band-- I probably stamped closer to the
middle than I needed to, and some of the stamping showed through the
"thanks" cutout, but I don't think anyone noticed or really cared.
My super high tech method of drying the boxes on the floor:
The assembly process was pretty easy. I used my ATG gun
loaded with 1/4 inch tape, and first assembled the boxes. Then I ran
tape along the edges of the band, and positioned it where I wanted on
the box. Trim off excess or fold over and tape down to the interior.
I was looking everywhere for retro candy, since that would've been a
cute nod to the decade in which they got married, but after realizing
that express shipping across the country is neither financially or
environmentally prudent, I filled the boxes with regular fun-sized mini
candy. 5 smaller candies fit perfectly on the bottom, and 2 larger ones
were laid on top.
The boxes, assembled and filled:
But I thought the favors needed a little something extra, so I finished them off with a black 1/4 inch satin ribbon.
One last look before being packed up for the restaurant!