50, Fit and Fabulous: Advice Wanted-- Week 3 and In A Slump!
In July, a month before I turned 49, I started a journey of weight loss just as my son was diagnosed with cancer. I am determined to face 50 and the empty nest feeling fit and fabulous with my son's health fully restored. I believe the journey is more fun and more doable with good company. If you have goals you need to work on, walk with me on this path each week and let's journey with each other. Together, I know we can.
I’m in week 3 of the showdown of Julie vs the Scale at the OK Corral. Neither of us have budged. The good news is I haven’t gained. The bad news is I haven’t lost. So here I am in the slump. I’m not sure why I’m stuck, but it’s frustrating.
One thing I know, for sure, I do not want to give up on this journey. I’m still halfway to goal; I want to see it through to the finish, which also means I don’t want to stay in this stuck place for another three weeks. I have been trying to evaluate my behavior and eating patterns to discern where I may be hung up.
Diet Behavior Pros and Cons:
What I'm doing well:
- I am still counting daily calories—I shoot for 1200-1500 a day, most days, in order to lose 1-2 pounds a week.
- I am working out most days of the week—I have a decent habit of jogging, hiking or elliptical and am fairly disciplined here.
- I am still determined and focused on this journey—I’m feeling so much better and love how my clothes are starting to fit, but I still want this weight off.
- I do not want to give up or throw in the towel—this “setback” hasn’t discouraged me, just frustrated me.
Where I may be stalling my progress:
- I may not be counting all the little “bites” that can add up- ‘nuff said here.
- May need to drink more water than I do—I drink coffee, green tea and do manage to drink iced tea or lemonade (sugar free, of course) but not near enough during the day.
- I may not be eating enough calories, putting my metabolism into slow-mo—I have a tendency to quit eating when my calories hit about 1100 to make up for those “extra” bites I may not be counting. Still, I may be under eating.
- I may need to move more randomly during the day—I’m a writer. We sit on our butts a lot.
My husband found out last week, he may be approved to go to Florida in February for a work conference, which means I may be able to go too for the price of a plane ticket. I’m doing a happy dance at the thought of a break from the snowy, cold mountains of Colorado for a few weeks. As an added bonus, I might get to spend time with my college roommate. I would love to go feeling fit and cute in a few new pairs of shorts. No, losing weight isn’t all about the vanity, but honestly, it’s a big incentive.
So I wind up week 3 with thoughts of palm trees to keep me going but still feeling stuck in the scale-rut and a big frustrated.
Have you ever been stuck in your weight loss?
Do you have any suggestions to kick the scale into gear again?
What has worked for you? How's your journey going?